Latest News RSS News Feed Reports Previews Fan Articles Current Squad Rumours and Gossip
About Us Contact Us The Team Advertise Donate
Forum Index Main Forum The Lounge Calendar Member List Help Docs Login Join Forum

Former Everton Chairman Dies
04-27-2015, 03:29 PM
Former Everton Chairman Dies
Bit late but deserves its place here.

Quote:Sir Philip Carter: Former Everton chairman dies aged 87
Everton life president Sir Philip Carter, the most successful chairman in the club's history, has died aged 87.

In a statement, Everton said Carter died peacefully at home on Thursday morning after a short illness.

Carter, a childhood Everton fan, joined the club as a director in 1973. He rose to the position of chairman in 1978 and went on to preside over a period of domestic and European success.

"He served Everton with immense distinction," the statement added.

During Carter's time as chairman, Everton, under the guidance of manager Howard Kendall, won league titles in 1985 and 1987, the 1984 FA Cup and the 1985 European Cup Winners' Cup

Carter, who also served as president of the Football League and was an FA vice-president, relinquished his position when Peter Johnson bought the club but returned to the post in December 1998 after Bill Kenwright had taken over at the club.

He was made life president of the club in 2004 and in 2008 was again made a director.

"Words cannot describe my feelings of loss primarily as a friend but also as an Evertonian," current club chairman Kenwright said.

"Sir Philip was simply a giant... a great man, a great leader and the very best friend and colleague anyone could ask for. I never once met him without calling him chairman. I never will.

"That title was his by right. He will always have a major place in our great club's history."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2015, 10:03 PM
RE: Former Everton Chairman Dies
RIP Sir Philip. No doubt his passing provided our players with a bit of extra motivation against United
04-30-2015, 12:18 PM
(04-27-2015 10:03 PM)1878evertonian Wrote:  RIP Sir Philip. No doubt his passing provided our players with a bit of extra motivation against United

Aye. God rest him. Gave me the best 14th birthday present I could ever hope for.

PS

I'm glad nevile's not here anymore - or I'd have thought you'd meant HIM Happy0045

rat kopite -> [Image: violent-smiley-099.gif] <-Me

http://www.greenbenchesuk.com/2014/01/th...uncan.html

VOTE CLASS WAR!! http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2014/02/10/...th-2014-2/
05-07-2015, 06:13 PM
We just need our current chairman to snuff it now Drinks